Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Please give me a source....segulah
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sun, Jan 03 2010, 11:52 am
I am wondering if anyone has seen a source for it being a segulah to take challah during the ninth month of pregnancy to have an easy childbirth. I have seen it in several places but not written with a source. TIA!!!

life'sgreat

Post Sun, Jan 03 2010, 12:00 pm
I don't think there is a source. It's an inyan for the woman to do 'holy' things while pregnant.

Sherri

Post Sun, Jan 03 2010, 12:05 pm
And taking Challah is considered a tikkun for Chava's role in the sin of Adam- and painful childbirth is her punishment, maybe there is a connection...

BeershevaBubby

Post Sun, Jan 03 2010, 12:15 pm
It's Halacha.

Usually Segulot aren't something one is Halachically obligated to do. Or am I wrong?

life'sgreat

Post Sun, Jan 03 2010, 12:19 pm
YESHASettler wrote:
It's Halacha.

Usually Segulot aren't something one is Halachically obligated to do. Or am I wrong?
What's Halacha? To take Challah in the ninth month?

BeershevaBubby

Post Sun, Jan 03 2010, 12:22 pm
No, to take Challah any time you make dough over a certain amount.

life'sgreat

Post Sun, Jan 03 2010, 12:51 pm
YESHASettler wrote:
Ah. I don't think that was the question of this thread.

chatz

Post Sun, Jan 03 2010, 1:08 pm
I have heard that when a women is giving birth, she is judged on "her" 3 mitzvos: challah, Taharas Hamishpacha, & candle lighting. So it would make sense to get "points" in those 3 areas before giving birth.

I'll try to find a source.

BeershevaBubby

Post Sun, Jan 03 2010, 1:25 pm
life'sgreat wrote:
YESHASettler wrote:

I know that. The OP asked if there is any source regarding taking Challah during the 9th month as a Segulah for an easy labor.

I replied that it is a Halachic obligation regardless of when a woman does it and therefore may not be a specific Segulah. (That the fact that one is Halachically obligated, it might negate it from necessarily being a Segulah).

Sherri

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 3:28 pm
YESHASettler wrote:
life'sgreat wrote:
YESHASettler wrote:

I know that. The OP asked if there is any source regarding taking Challah during the 9th month as a Segulah for an easy labor.

I replied that it is a Halachic obligation regardless of when a woman does it and therefore may not be a specific Segulah. (That the fact that one is Halachically obligated, it might negate it from necessarily being a Segulah).
Are you saying that you don't think a mitzvah can be a segulah?

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 4:37 pm
YESHASettler wrote:
life'sgreat wrote:
YESHASettler wrote:

Last year Rabbi Reisman spoke about segulos. Not quite his bag, on the whole. But he did mention some traditional segulos, e.g. one for arichas yamim - honoring parents ;-)

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 5:11 pm
chatz wrote:
I have heard that when a women is giving birth, she is judged on "her" 3 mitzvos: challah, Taharas Hamishpacha, & candle lighting. So it would make sense to get "points" in those 3 areas before giving birth.

I'll try to find a source.

What you're saying is a Chazal. From this Chazal, the composer of the zemeiros of יום שבת קודש הוא sung ליל שבת קודש mentions specifically:
נשים נרות תדליקנה וחוק נדות תחזיקנה והחלות תסיקנה יגן בעדן זכותן יום בא עת לדתן

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Jan 05 2010, 12:23 am
Sherri wrote:
YESHASettler wrote:
life'sgreat wrote:
YESHASettler wrote:

Are you saying that you don't think a mitzvah can be a segulah?

A mitzvah is an obligation and we get 'points' for doing it (or not if that's the Mitzvah) the way it is mandated.

A Segulah is a mystical addition for extra brownie points.

Do you see the distinction?

I'm not saying a Mitzvah isn't a Segulah because I don't know. IMO, because a Segulah is not an obligation whereas a Mitzvah is, I don't think it is logical to place added 'Segula status' to a Mitzvah... understood?

Last edited by BeershevaBubby on Tue, Jan 05 2010, 2:27 am; edited 1 time in total

Marion

Post Tue, Jan 05 2010, 2:24 am
Gemara Shabbat?

Bameh madlikin, uvmeh ain madlikin... If you look at the mishnah we read between kabbalat Shabbat & ma'ariv, the 6th verse reads:

על שלש עברות נשים מתות בשעת לדתן: על שאינן זהירות בנדה, בחלה, ובהדלקת הנר.

"Due to 3 sins do women die at the time of childbirth: due to carelessness in niddah, challah, and lighting candles."

As YESHA says, though, I'm not sure that doing any of those 3 things properly turns it from being a mitzvah to a segulah.

entropy

Post Tue, Jan 05 2010, 2:32 am
There is no halacha that mandates one to be in a position where taking challa is a requirement.

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Jan 05 2010, 2:36 am
entropy wrote:
There is no halacha that mandates one to be in a position where taking challa is a requirement.

Sure there is... if you are making bread dough and using a certain amount of flour, you are then Halachically required to do Hafrashat Challah.

entropy

Post Tue, Jan 05 2010, 2:38 am
YESHASettler wrote:
entropy wrote:

Sure there is... if you are making bread dough and using a certain amount of flour, you are then Halachically required to do Hafrashat Challah.

bolding mine.

Marion

Post Tue, Jan 05 2010, 2:40 am
I think Entropy's point is that halacha doesn't state "if you bake bread (or any other dough that meets the requirements) you MUST use enough flour to be able to take challah with a bracha".

Which is not the same as "if you bake bread with volume x of flour, then challah must be taken with a bracha".

entropy

Post Tue, Jan 05 2010, 2:43 am
Yes. Also, there is no halacha that states: "you must bake bread"

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Jan 05 2010, 2:49 am
Many Mitzvot are like that though.

Shmitta only pertains to Israel. If I were living in Chu"L, do I need to go out of my way to buy Israeli produce to fulfill various Shmitta-related Mitzvot? Of course not.

The laws of Kashering chickens relate only to those who are actually doing the Kashering... do I need to go out of my way to buy a slaughtered, unKashered chicken (or even raw livers) simply to perform the Mitzvot? Of course not.

However if I DO decide to buy raw chicken livers, it is incumbent upon me to perform the proper Halachot to ensure Kosher livers.

When things go wrong in a person's life, often people say 'check your Mezuzot'. Having a Kosher Mezuzah on your doorpost isn't a Segulah, that's the Halacha. Part of the purpose of the Mezuzah is to protect. If the Klaf becomes Passul, you're not observing the Mitzvah properly anymore.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions