Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Red, rough cheeks

amother

Post Mon, Dec 07 2009, 1:27 pm
Ds is 2 months old. He got his pimples at 1 month, and when they started going away his cheeks became rough and reddish, and have stayed that way. Any ideas what it could be?

momsprince

Post Mon, Dec 07 2009, 1:53 pm
Maybe eczema? Try Vitamin D drops.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 07 2009, 2:08 pm
OP- I forgot to mention that he also has a little bit of yellow flaky skin on his eyebrows and ears- so maybe it is eczema? Did you have success with vit d drops? Are any creams recommended? And does this mean he's more likely to have any kinds of allergies?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Dec 07 2009, 6:23 pm
The winter months are actually brutal on little ones' facial skin especially.
They drool and cry and the wetness gets chapped.

I've gone through quite a few red rough facial patches in my children, mainly in the winter time, and the basic solution is to keep it moisturized but at the same time trying to get rid of excess moisture before it chaps the skin...

I noticed my 4 year old has a bit of a rash around his mouth again (he's been mouth breathing due to a stuffed nose, and I wouldn't be surprised if this is the cause), so I made sure to tell him I want to put lotion on it so it will get better.

Tehilla

Post Mon, Dec 07 2009, 6:25 pm
amother wrote:
Ds is 2 months old. He got his pimples at 1 month, and when they started going away his cheeks became rough and reddish, and have stayed that way. Any ideas what it could be?

that happened to me, and we went to a homeopath. it got pretty yucky, poor kid, but B"H got better after a few treatments from the homeopath.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 07 2009, 6:41 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
The winter months are actually brutal on little ones' facial skin especially.
They drool and cry and the wetness gets chapped.

I've gone through quite a few red rough facial patches in my children, mainly in the winter time, and the basic solution is to keep it moisturized but at the same time trying to get rid of excess moisture before it chaps the skin...

I noticed my 4 year old has a bit of a rash around his mouth again (he's been mouth breathing due to a stuffed nose, and I wouldn't be surprised if this is the cause), so I made sure to tell him I want to put lotion on it so it will get better.

OP-
I actually live in a city with a warm, humid climate this time of year. What moisturizer would you recommend for a baby this age? Can't hurt to try that. . .

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Dec 07 2009, 6:42 pm
I used aquaphor or eucerin (whatever I had free samples for Wink) which worked pretty well at locking in the moisture and not allowing it to dry up some more.

Truth is the summer can be hard as well if you have the AC running. It can get pretty dry then.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 07 2009, 6:45 pm
Thanks HY. I'll try that (I have some free samples too Smile )

Meema2Kids

Post Mon, Dec 07 2009, 7:19 pm
One of my sons had this. It looked so painful! Eucerin worked well, although it didn't totally go away. I think it lasted till he was about 3 months old.

The yellow flakes on the eyebrows and ears might be something else... a few of my kids had this and I remember reading about it in one of my child care books. I can't remember what it's called. That went away in a few months also.

desertrose

Post Tue, Dec 08 2009, 7:20 am
My dd had this and she is a May month baby. It went away by 3 months. The drs in Israel call it baby asthma, its like eczema. Its quiet common and they mention also hereditary....sometimes can be from allergies.

Tech_mom

Post Tue, Dec 08 2009, 9:57 am
If its just red cheeks keep them moisturized and away from cold. If you suspect Eczema because there is also redness or itchiness in other areas then read on:

Two of my children suffered from severe Eczema, but one was "healed" by the age of 6 months. The other took until over 2 years to work itself out.

With the first the red cheeks that she had caused her to rub her face into her pillow and then gave way to open oozing sores that bled and became infected which we tried to solve, but the really bad eczema (all over her body) lasted till she was a little over 2. Boy did she suffer.

My other child seemed to be heading in an equally painful direction but hers resolved itself after I stopped eating any dairy products. (It also had a positive result of making me lose 10 pounds!)

But you are asking for suggestions that help so let me fill you in on all the different advice that we got and what really helped.

1. We had our first child tested for allergies (including the typical -like dairy) and they came up negative. I would tell you that actually stopping these foods is more tried and true than tests. Had I known that then, I would have gone off of dairy as an experiment for her sake. (BTW she won't drink milk at all these days. She is old enough to tell that this hurts her (maybe she is lactose intolerant) even though we never corroborated the information "medically".) I don't know if this would have ended her suffering then, but having seen it work with her younger sister I see that it is worthwhile to try this on your own.

The rest of these tips I got from a NYU medical school senior professor of dermatology for which we took our child and paid out of pocket ($hundreds of dollars a visit) so that we could alleviate her situation:

2. Don't use a lot of water which is abrasive- don't wash the baby's face with water. Use Cetaphil. Moisturize with Eucerin.

3. sensitive skin can react to any soap left in clothing so double or even triple rinse clothing in the washer.
you can see if there is any soap left if you take an item (like a sock) and put in a cup of water. See if there are any suds.

4. changing air temperature is not good. you can't control going from the outside to the inside and vice versa but control the thermostat in your home to be steady throughout the day. Don't lower your thermostat for night hours.

Please forgive my long winded lecture, but I want to alleviate the pain of anyone suffering in a way that is similar to what my child experienced.

EvenI

Post Tue, Dec 15 2009, 12:43 pm
From my experience, it could be eczema and it could be digestion related and triggered by certain foods that you are eating (if you are breastfeeding) (dairy is a common possibility but there are plenty of others also) or formula. It does not have to be a full blown life long allergy; it can be a difficulty with digestion of certain foods, and it could be helped by a naturopath and/or probiotics to help build healthy intestinal flora.

Interestingly, my son had this from very early on, but tests using bioresonance screening (mora therapy) at 6 months revealed no sensitivities to any foods at all, whereas similar tests (bicom) when he was a little older (I think about a year) did reveal a whole list of triggers. I know someone who takes her 2 week old babies for these sort of tests just to find out what she should eat when nursing to avoid any allergic reactions.

yOungM0mmy

Post Tue, Dec 15 2009, 3:43 pm
My son has something that sounds similar, too. The yellow flakey skin in the eyebrows sounds like an extension of cradle cap - use an oily cream, soften the yellow stuff, and gently rub it away, a little bit at a time.
The red chapped cheeks sounds like an allergy - is it accompanied by general scratching - head/neck, etc? My son was exclusively breasfted, but reacted to foods in my milk which touched his cheek, dribbled down, etc. As part of the treatment, I was told to smear on a barrier cream before I nursed.

Tehilla

Post Tue, Dec 15 2009, 3:56 pm
yes we also had really intense cradle cap, down to the eyebrows also.

at any rate, I was also thinking that if someone wanted to see before and after pictures of my baby with the homeopathic treatments, please pm me.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics