Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
Homemade yogurt

twinkle

Post Sun, Dec 06 2009, 12:22 pm
I recently bought a yogurt machine, and I love it. However, the problem is that my kids don't. I do not want to buy the sorter bough yogurts because they hare expensive, have tons of sugar, and artificial flavors. Any experienced yogurt makers have tips how to make to that my kids like it. They only like it with tons of sugar which I don't want to do. I feel like I put in more sugar than yogurt in order for them to eat it. any suggestions. Thanks.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Dec 06 2009, 3:37 pm
what bout mixing in cereal or jelly or something else ?

nylon

Post Sun, Dec 06 2009, 4:00 pm
Have you tasted it to make sure it's not too sour? You may be culturing it too long.

You can strain off the whey to make it thicker and sweeter tasting (like Greek yoghurt if you've had that) but it makes it higher fat. I do that anyway (I drain it part way) because homemade yoghurt is thinner than store bought.

I add fruit puree (or sometimes half pureed, so there's some texture) and a sweetener (sugar, honey, or maple syrup depending). What fruits do your children like? mine does not like many fruits but will eat them pureed and mixed into yoghurt. I buy the frozen berries and puree them; much cheaper than fresh this time of year.

Oh - grape nuts are good, too, let them sit long enough to start to soften but so they still have some crunch. (I got this idea from seeing a recipe for grape-nut ice cream!)

twinkle

Post Sun, Dec 06 2009, 7:41 pm
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll play around and see what I can combine with the yogurt that they will like.

BennysMommy

Post Sun, Dec 06 2009, 8:37 pm
Do you add the additions before or after the yogurt is made? I discovered that when I add sugar at the same time as the starter I can use much less than if I add the sugar to the plain yogurt after it's already cultured. I also add some vanilla at the same time. And like nylon said, you may be culturing it too long. It's sweeter if you culture it for less hours.

Good luck and have fun! It takes some time to get it just right.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Dec 07 2009, 9:06 am
The taste for a more sour food comes later in life. That's why you like but they don't.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals