Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Feeding a family of six for $4 a week.
Previous  1  2  3  Next

saw50st8

Post Sat, Dec 05 2009, 9:11 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
Purdue has kosher meat???

No, sorry that part wasnt clear. I was talking about how the lady could get free or cheap chicken.

Oh and frozen veggies can very often be free or really cheap on sale and with coupons. They arent as good as fresh, but they do have lots of nutrients and if you can't afford fresh, its definitely a good option. There are ways to keep a relatively balanced diet and coupon shop - even kosher.

BinahYeteirah

Post Sat, Dec 05 2009, 9:25 pm
I got a bunch of whole wheat pasta for free using coupons. I agree with the comment about frozen veggies. I have gotten many bags of them very cheap, although I only buy the kinds that don't have major bug issues (those I would only buy Bodek or the like). Occasionally, some good "money-maker" deals come up. For these, I buy a product I wouldn't normally want, because it actually makes me money (usually in store credit of some form) that I can use to buy fruits, veggies, or whatever else I need. Other than that, I do much better with health and beauty products using coupons as a kosher and health-conscious shopper.

pecan

Post Sat, Dec 05 2009, 11:15 pm
I couldn't believe the title was real.
Most Jewish owned stores don't take coupons, so this kind of stuff can't work here unless you want to waste money on gas.

mimivan

Post Sat, Dec 05 2009, 11:37 pm
for the amount of time she spent clipping coupons (she said at least 2 hours) and the amount of time it takes her to shop very carefully (probably add an hour because she has to pay attention to every little detail) she could have paid for over half of those groceries if she had a job paying $15 an hour. If she has a professional skill, she probably could have earned all of that money in 3 hours work.

not to say she should "get a job" but there is a catch...she has to work HARD to be able to do that...and time is money!

b'kitzur...while interesting, I don't think the average woman can take this kind of thing on...to that degree.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Dec 06 2009, 12:05 am
She shoudl really get a job coupon clipping and grocery shopping for people! Smile

Happy Mom

Post Sun, Dec 06 2009, 12:53 am
mimivan wrote:
for the amount of time she spent clipping coupons (she said at least 2 hours) and the amount of time it takes her to shop very carefully (probably add an hour because she has to pay attention to every little detail) she could have paid for over half of those groceries if she had a job paying $15 an hour. If she has a professional skill, she probably could have earned all of that money in 3 hours work.

not to say she should "get a job" but there is a catch...she has to work HARD to be able to do that...and time is money!

b'kitzur...while interesting, I don't think the average woman can take this kind of thing on...to that degree.

I'm not a fan of coupons in general since I don't think they're a real money saving strategy, but I still think it's great that this woman was able to do this!

As far as getting a job to make the money, that's assuming that a job could be had. And that it paid $15 per hour, and that she didn't have to pay child care, and that it worked with the rest of her life and family needs. And then she has to pay taxes on all of it. If you think about it, she has a hobby that is profitable that she enjoys. What's to criticize? So what that we can't do it because we eat kosher or don't eat the processed foods she stocks up on?

Seraph

Post Sun, Dec 06 2009, 3:50 am
msctwg wrote:
wow! that is really cool. but... I didn't see any fruit or vegtables. and as fruit and vegtables are a major part of our diet I don't think it would work for us. Also we try not to buy from arabs. got to rami levi on tues for fruits and veggies and they also have a great deal on wed for chicken but like I said we don't buy from arabs. also certain hechshers..however we do look for specials and it doesn't always work.
I also lack the time, patienece and energy and dedication, but good for her!!! that is really sticking it to them
rami levi is a jewish man. the chain is his, owned and run by a yid. unless you refuse to buy from anyone that employs arabs, but thats very hard to find in israel...

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Dec 06 2009, 3:59 am
wow, amazing that her whole food bill went from being over 200 dollars to being one penny. if she has the time and does not have to work or whatever it is, I very much applaud her. that is an amazing amount to save.

the only thing that I saw that I did not like was that most of the foods that she was buying were processed foods and I do not know if she bought vegetables and fruit at all. if not then her family is missing out on valuable nutrients.

Health is a Virture

Post Sun, Dec 06 2009, 5:02 am
Hashem loves me wrote:
Seems she's pretty skimpy with $ for clothing too. those few inches of material couldn't have cost too much.

I was thinking the same thing...neither of them had much clothing on!!!

mimivan

Post Sun, Dec 06 2009, 5:48 am
deleted

Last edited by mimivan on Sun, Dec 06 2009, 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Dec 06 2009, 5:52 am
off topic, sort of, but where would one even find coupons in israel? I have never seen them in the newspapers.

BinahYeteirah

Post Sun, Dec 06 2009, 6:06 am
Anyone who can make what she saved in three hours has an exceptional job.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Dec 06 2009, 10:44 am
she spentway more than 3 hours clipping and sorting all those coupons and going shopping carefully.

btw she probably made a bit of money from the TV interview too Smile

Happy Mom

Post Sun, Dec 06 2009, 2:04 pm
deleted

Last edited by Happy Mom on Mon, Dec 07 2009, 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

mimivan

Post Sun, Dec 06 2009, 2:18 pm
Happy Mom wrote:
mimivan wrote:

I know how you feel about women who work, so there is no reason to rehash a this discussion again.

I was thinking of it from my perspective (yes....one of THOSE terrible working mothers albeit working at home and with young children who are NOT in daycare..but I don't think that will help my case LOL ) in terms of maybe spending all that time pouring over coupons and nitpicking in the grocery aisle (whille I should add, it is just as impossible to watch kids as it is at home with a laptop)...that it would be more worth it to just work a few more hours a week than to do all that work searching for the coupons and the food.

Not bashing, just saying no worth it here...but of course you made yourself heard about working mothers...loud and clear..(even ones who work at home, I bet)

Mimivan, I have no idea who you are, and you clearly have no idea what my thoughts on working mothers are. You are totally out of line. You are presumptuous, offensive, and judgmental. Unlike you, I post here under my real name because I am willing to express my opinions without hiding behind anonymity and then bashing people (oh, right, you weren't bashing - I hate to think what your bashing would be like Rolling Eyes ). Unlike you, anyone can read what my thoughts are on various topics on my blog, if they're interested. Even if I wrote something somewhere else that would lead you to the impression you have here, referencing it here would be inappropriate.

BUT - I haven't written anything here, I haven't written anything on another thread, and I haven't even written anything on my blog on this topic. This is why you sound totally foolish and defensive - I've never been critical of working mothers; I was once a working mother with young children, and obviously understand that many people need to work, whether outside or inside the home. Yep, I'm lucky I can be home with my kids full time, and I appreciate that as a gift that H-shem gave me. Why you would assume I judge anyone who lives a different life than me is beyond.

Don't you dare speak for me. I can speak for myself just fine. If you have a question about something I said, ask. But don't you attach my name to your offensive thoughts and malign me with lies.

I think you're reaction was much too strong.
But I'm sorry if this post offended you.
Since you describe me with so many pejorative adjectives, you must be terribly hurt, in that case, I'm sorry.
I wrote this post in the heat of the moment and I thought I edited out some of the harsher edges, but I guess the edits didn't come through.
If so, I'm sorry.

Last edited by mimivan on Sun, Dec 06 2009, 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

saw50st8

Post Sun, Dec 06 2009, 2:21 pm
mimivan wrote:

While I obviously cannot do what she does, I did as much as I could when I was working full time. Its not that hard once you learn the ropes.

Here is a list of stuff I haven't really paid for in 2 years:

Soap/bodywash, shampoo/conditioner, mousse/gel, deoderant, toothbrushes, toothpaste, diapers, wipes, makeup, paper towels, laundry detergent, tissues, toilet paper, soda, snacks (cookies, chips etc), crackers, over the counter medicine including Claritin, Alavert, Triaminic, Theraflu, Robitussin, Tylenol, Excedrin, Advil, contact lense solution, shavers, shaving cream, dish soap, hand soap, paper plates, cups, napkins...the list could go on and on! I've even gotten free gas cards.

The few hour investment to me pays off in dividends. I also get to share with my family and friends and donate a lot of stuff. Plus, I get to "splurge" on name brands.

I don't "need" to do this - our budget could afford not to, I just cannot imagine paying more for the same things I am going to be using.

If you are in Brooklyn and shopping in Jewish stores, you are generally over paying by a lot. Venture out to shop rite and shop their sales - they have a parking lot! You can save quite a bit of money.

mimivan

Post Sun, Dec 06 2009, 2:24 pm
Quote:
Unlike you, I post here under my real name because I am willing to express my opinions without hiding behind anonymity and then bashing people (oh, right, you weren't bashing - I hate to think what your bashing would be like Rolling Eyes )

Huh? Was I anonymous?

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Dec 06 2009, 3:09 pm
saw50st8 wrote:
mimivan wrote:

While I obviously cannot do what she does, I did as much as I could when I was working full time. Its not that hard once you learn the ropes.

Here is a list of stuff I haven't really paid for in 2 years:

Soap/bodywash, shampoo/conditioner, mousse/gel, deoderant, toothbrushes, toothpaste, diapers, wipes, makeup, paper towels, laundry detergent, tissues, toilet paper, soda, snacks (cookies, chips etc), crackers, over the counter medicine including Claritin, Alavert, Triaminic, Theraflu, Robitussin, Tylenol, Excedrin, Advil, contact lense solution, shavers, shaving cream, dish soap, hand soap, paper plates, cups, napkins...the list could go on and on! I've even gotten free gas cards.

The few hour investment to me pays off in dividends. I also get to share with my family and friends and donate a lot of stuff. Plus, I get to "splurge" on name brands.

I don't "need" to do this - our budget could afford not to, I just cannot imagine paying more for the same things I am going to be using.

If you are in Brooklyn and shopping in Jewish stores, you are generally over paying by a lot. Venture out to shop rite and shop their sales - they have a parking lot! You can save quite a bit of money.

Do you buy Sunday papers? Are you on online coupon groups and if so which are worth it? Thanks.

JollyMommy

Post Sun, Dec 06 2009, 9:26 pm
saw50 and others who get free stuff- how?? I always use coupons and don't mind buying the brand of the coupon for things like soap and diapers.. my coupons (in my purse right now I have for Balmex, Beechnut, Pampers, and Nivea) say "limit one coupon per item". is there a website that you recommend?? I'm jealous!

can you explain in detail what you do? thanks!

by the way Happy Mom I LOVE your blog!

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Dec 07 2009, 1:10 am
Happy Mom... you get so much credit for not losing your mind being home every single day with 8 kids. really.

I read your chore chart and the only question I had was: what do YOU actually do if your kids do laundry, cleanup, and food prep?

your 16 yr old son.... how does he learn gemara and other things 16 yr old yeshiva boys should be learning? is it really in the best interest of a yeshiva age boy to be home all day instead of in yeshiva?

other than that, your blog really impressed me. I cannot IMAGINE being home with such a big family every single day!!!!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics