Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
I really want to understand
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

Crayon210

Post Tue, Aug 01 2006, 12:40 pm
Lubavitchers (and many others, I believe) do not lein Rus on Shavuos, Koheles on Succos, or Shir HaShirim on Pesach. Just Esther and Eicha.

Crayon210

Post Tue, Aug 01 2006, 12:42 pm
GR wrote:
Quote:
Lubavich do not use glass for both dairy and meat,

people use the same glass dishes for both dairy and meat? Scratching Head

Lots of non-Lubavitchers do not use glass for both dairy and meat, hot or cold. I didn't know this was a Lubavitcher thing (because it's not!)

red sea

Post Tue, Aug 01 2006, 12:50 pm
Crayon210 wrote:
GR wrote:
Quote:

Lots of non-Lubavitchers do not use glass for both dairy and meat, hot or cold. I didn't know this was a Lubavitcher thing (because it's not!)

Crayon darling, if u get the gist of the "rules" I set up to keep the thread civil, you should only speak for lubav, its up to a non lubav to say if the glass thing is not accurate.

Also afaik, lots of people don't have just one set of glasses cuz after all how much do they cost already, and why get all nervous about which sponge to use, etc but fact is if youre not lubav we are allowed to and people do hold this way even if they own separate sets

Last edited by red sea on Tue, Aug 01 2006, 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

gryp

Post Tue, Aug 01 2006, 12:52 pm
Quote:

thats probably why I never heard of it before.

Quote:
About the glass dishes - we can use them at a milk or meat meal only if it's used for cold! (this might seem obvious, but just clarifying.)

stem, does that include china dishes too?

mumsy23

Post Tue, Aug 01 2006, 1:00 pm
About the oven, there are different shitas for non-lubavitchers.

The most strict is that they must use seperate ovens for milk and meat.

Some allow milk and meat as long as one is double wrapped

Some allow milk and meat after 24 hours and they do not have to be covered

The most lenient (but is still practiced in frum circles) is that the oven should cool completly and be clean in between milk and meat. and nothing has to be covered.

My Rav is very strict about kashrus and requests that his kehilla use seperate ovens. I didn't know this when I first moved to the community and was relying on waiting 24 hours (because that is what I learned from Rav Bulman in seminary). One shavuos I had a problem because I didn't have enough time to cook milk and meat for shabbos and yomtov (due to the 24 hour thing) so I called him and aksed him what to do. At that point he informed me that he doesn't hold by the 24 hour thing. Anyway, I was still stuck (and I couldn't cover the food because they were things that were supposed to be cooked uncovered), so he told me this time I can rely on the opinion that says I can let the oven cool (and he did stress that it is a totally reliable psak) and that I should get a convection microwave as soon as I can. I posted this just so you realize that these aren't just "mekel" opinions, there are rabbis that hold by even the most lenient one.

Crayon210

Post Tue, Aug 01 2006, 1:04 pm
red sea wrote:
Crayon darling, if u get the gist of the "rules" I set up to keep the thread civil, you should only speak for lubav, its up to a non lubav to say if the glass thing is not accurate.

Sorry...but I can also speak for non-Lubavitchers, have lots of firsthand experience. I didn't realize the "rules".

Quote:
Also afaik, lots of people don't have just one set of glasses cuz after all how much do they cost already, and why get all nervous about which sponge to use, etc but fact is if youre not lubav we are allowed to and people do hold this way even if they own separate sets

But lots of non-Lubavitchers don't, I can tell you from firsthand experience. Confused And you might be clarifying for some non-Lubavitchers, but not all. So then what? Confused

Ruchel

Post Tue, Aug 01 2006, 1:05 pm
Crayon210 wrote:
GR wrote:
Quote:

Lots of non-Lubavitchers do not use glass for both dairy and meat, hot or cold.

I think some Ashk. use but only for cold, and Sephardic for hot too?

gryp

Post Tue, Aug 01 2006, 1:07 pm
Thanx Mumsy23, I didnt know any of that. I havent really checked people's kitchens in the past to see if they have two ovens or not. I just assumed everyone had two.

TzenaRena

Post Tue, Aug 01 2006, 1:25 pm
Quote:
Men put on two sets of Tefillin every day- Rashi for davening, Rabbeinu Tam for an extra Shema after davening.
The way the Tefillin is wrapped is the opposite direction than others.

We don't put on Tefillin on Chol Hamoed, did someone mention this? HaRav HaTzdik, Reb Hillel Paritcher - a chossid of the Mittler Rebbe and Tzemach Tzedek) was called the "Chol Hamoed'iker" becaus he got married before Bar Mitzvah at age 12 (?), and davened at that time with a tallis, but no tefillin!

Motek

Post Tue, Aug 01 2006, 1:30 pm
GR wrote:
I just assumed everyone had two.

What?! That is such a recent luxury!

mimsy7420

Post Tue, Aug 01 2006, 1:31 pm
GR wrote:
Quote:

thats probably why I never heard of it before.

Quote:
About the glass dishes - we can use them at a milk or meat meal only if it's used for cold! (this might seem obvious, but just clarifying.)

stem, does that include china dishes too?

No definately that does not include china dishes. Only glass!

Ruchel

Post Tue, Aug 01 2006, 1:33 pm
SaraYehudis wrote:
Quote:
Men put on two sets of Tefillin every day- Rashi for davening, Rabbeinu Tam for an extra Shema after davening.

We don't put on Tefillin on Chol Hamoed, did someone mention this? HaRav HaTzdik, Reb Hillel Paritcher - a chossid of the Mittler Rebbe and Tzemach Tzedek) was called the "Chol Hamoed'iker" becaus he got married before Bar Mitzvah at age 12 (?), and davened at that time with a tallis, but no tefillin!

Isn't that problematic to get married before bar/bas mitsva?

Ruchel

Post Tue, Aug 01 2006, 1:33 pm
Motek wrote:
GR wrote:

I agree.

shayna82

Post Tue, Aug 01 2006, 1:36 pm
Motek wrote:
GR wrote:

its not that recent. I know tons of people that have had two for years

Mitzvahmom

Post Tue, Aug 01 2006, 1:37 pm
My problem with China, is that everyone (older relatives) wants to give me their handmedown china. And I cannot use it!!!

mimsy7420

Post Tue, Aug 01 2006, 1:37 pm
I wonder if there is a way to kasher it. Probably not right?

TzenaRena

Post Tue, Aug 01 2006, 1:54 pm
I think I once heard that the only way is to put it in a kiln, and it has to be heated to the point it would be molten? Anyone else hear this?

TzenaRena

Post Tue, Aug 01 2006, 1:56 pm
Ruchel wrote:
SaraYehudis wrote:
Quote:

Isn't that problematic to get married before bar/bas mitsva?
Leave it to Reb Hillel. BTW, at that age he was an accomplished Gaon .

red sea

Post Tue, Aug 01 2006, 2:15 pm
Quote:
we dont mix fish and milk

wow that is so interesting! no cream cheese & lox on a bagel then.

girliesmommy

Post Tue, Aug 01 2006, 2:20 pm
red sea wrote:
Quote:
we dont mix fish and milk

wow that is so interesting! no cream cheese & lox on a bagel then.
Most people hold that it is only milk, not cheese. But there are those that do not eat cream cheese & lox... yum!!!
Page 2 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics