Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
I really want to understand
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

red sea

Post Mon, Jul 31 2006, 9:30 pm
NO BASHING OR DEBATING ALLOWED IN THIS THREAD###CIVILIZED QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS ONLY
Only non lubavich should ask questions, only lubavich should answer only the questions asked

What is SO different about Lubavich?

What minhagim do you have different? Please note whether something is done across the board or is not the mainstream.

What exactly happened to the leadership in the lubav. circles after the rebbe was niftar (is that ok to say, or is that a debate?)?

Why did the leadership not get continued on to a single Rabbi like it had in the past within Lubav.?

Crayon210

Post Mon, Jul 31 2006, 11:38 pm
red sea wrote:

This is a little vague, don't you think? ;-)

Quote:
What minhagim do you have different? Please note whether something is done across the board or is not the mainstream.

This is also a little vague. Every group has its own minhagim (or piskei din) that differ from other groups. This is too open-ended to answer (unless you can qualify it!)

Quote:
What exactly happened to the leadership in the lubav. circles after the rebbe was niftar (is that ok to say, or is that a debate?)?

As has been mentioned before, Lubavitchers are not in agreement about the Rebbe's state of being right now.

Quote:
Why did the leadership not get continued on to a single Rabbi like it had in the past within Lubav.?

Even if we disregard the issue of passing away, the Rebbe never indicated a successor, and with no children or qualified students, there has never been a question of succession.

More importantly, the Rebbe clearly told us that we are the final generation before Moshiach (and the first generation to greet Moshiach).

red sea

Post Tue, Aug 01 2006, 10:27 am
Quote:
What minhagim do you have different?

Come on its not so vague, I'll start you off with what I mean;

Lubavich do not use glass for both dairy and meat,

do not hold of eating dairy that is not cholov yisrael,

I'm sure there are a few more differences in kashrus, shabbos, TM, other basics....what are they?

can someone eat in other peoples houses that are not lubav or is the kashrus halachos problematic? is it across the board or only those who are machmir?

amother

Post Tue, Aug 01 2006, 10:34 am
I have cousins who are Lubavich.
They don't wear anything that has a picture of an animal on it.
For example: A teddy Bear T-shirt
A Butterfly shaped pin
Etc...

Do you all hold like this?

girliesmommy

Post Tue, Aug 01 2006, 10:36 am
red sea wrote:
Quote:
What minhagim do you have different?

do not hold of eating dairy that is not cholov yisrael,

I'm sure there are a few more differences in kashrus, shabbos, TM, other basics....what are they?

can someone eat in other peoples houses that are not lubav or is the kashrus halachos problematic? is it across the board or only those who are machmir?
I do think it is a very general question, but now that you've started in one direction:

* We wait 6 hours between meat and milk (not sure if it's only Lubavitch who does this.)
* In addition to Cholov Yisroel, we only eat Pas Yisroel, although we are not Machmir on Kemach Yoshon
* Shabbos - I know we calculate times for Havdallah differently (I don't know much more about this)
* TH - We calculate the Veses Haflaga from the past Hefsek Taharah

As for your last question, I don't think there is a clear cut answer... each case is different.

girliesmommy

Post Tue, Aug 01 2006, 10:39 am
amother wrote:
I have cousins who are Lubavich.
They don't wear anything that has a picture of an animal on it.
For example: A teddy Bear T-shirt
A Butterfly shaped pin
Etc...

Do you all hold like this?

This has been discussed over and over in many different threads on this site. Maybe someone can dig them up and post some links.
In a nutshell, the Lubavitcher Rebbe spoke about only surrounding our children with things of Kedusha, and not CHV"S the opposite which would include non-kosher animals.
Before everyone starts jumping on me about going to a zoo or seeing dogs on the street, can someone please post a link!?!?!?

gryp

Post Tue, Aug 01 2006, 10:43 am
Quote:

red sea, thats like me asking what minhagim you do differently than me!
how would you know? maybe some things you would, but it's a very general question.

red sea

Post Tue, Aug 01 2006, 10:46 am
Not trying to be So bossy (just a bit Wink ) but you don't need to go into in depth why over here, its more like a faq thread so its enough to say all dont do the non kosher animals, or most, or some, what you gave to explain it is more than enough explanation, I feel that to explain even further would lead to debate and would defeat the purpose of this thread.

red sea

Post Tue, Aug 01 2006, 10:50 am
GR wrote:
Quote:

red sea, thats like me asking what minhagim you do differently than me!
how would you know? maybe some things you would, but it's a very general question.

yes its genereal, but I am not expecting one person to comrehensively cover a-z, but you do know what minhagim are strictly lubavich.

gryp

Post Tue, Aug 01 2006, 10:50 am
Quote:

people use the same glass dishes for both dairy and meat? Scratching Head

Quote:

it depends on what that specific family keeps. for example, we dont eat off milchig dishes that were used for non-chalav yisroel products. most Lubavitchers depending on where they live eat only Lubavitcher Shechita, we dont mix fish and milk, DE and D is the same thing for us, we dont eat off dishes that touched gebrokts on Pesach.
and much more, but how do I know what others keep and what others dont?

red sea

Post Tue, Aug 01 2006, 10:57 am
Quote:
dont eat off dishes that touched gebrokts on Pesach

so you don't eat gebrokst of the last day of pesach?

Quote:
people use the same glass dishes for both dairy and meat?

yes, glass can be used for both because it is held that glass is non porous I beleive, just wash well, afaik, sephardim even do hagalos keilim on glasses and use them for pesach too. I don't know how chassidim that are not lubav hold tho.

gryp

Post Tue, Aug 01 2006, 10:59 am
Davening
Our Taleisim are plain black and white, Our talis katan is also a bit different.
Men put on two sets of Tefillin every day- Rashi for davening, Rabbeinu Tam for an extra Shema after davening.
Men wear a double-covering for making brochos, davening, etc: a yarmulke and a hat too.
Wearing a gartel during davening.
Learning Chassidus before davening to improve Kavanah.
Not rushing thrugh davening, since it is called "avodah she'balev" ("service of the heart"), and we need to fully connect to Hashem.
Our nusach is different, made by the Alter Rebbe, called Nusach Ari. We dont say Yigdal, the order of brachos and pisukei dizimra is different, kdusha is a bit different, and a few words here and there are changed around.

gryp

Post Tue, Aug 01 2006, 11:02 am
Quote:
so you don't eat gebrokst of the last day of pesach?

yes, we have a minhag to eat gebrokts the last day of Pesach. Some people have a seperate pot or some dishes put away just for the gebrokts, others just wash the dishes really well afterwards.

Quote:
yes, glass can be used for both

I never knew that.

girliesmommy

Post Tue, Aug 01 2006, 11:08 am
GR wrote:
Davening
Our Taleisim are plain black and white, Our talis katan is also a bit different.
Men put on two sets of Tefillin every day- Rashi for davening, Rabbeinu Tam for an extra Shema after davening.
Men wear a double-covering for making brochos, davening, etc: a yarmulke and a hat too.
Wearing a gartel during davening.
Learning Chassidus before davening to improve Kavanah.
Not rushing thrugh davening, since it is called "avodah she'balev" ("service of the heart"), and we need to fully connect to Hashem.
Our nusach is different, made by the Alter Rebbe, called Nusach Ari. We dont say Yigdal, the order of brachos and pisukei dizimra is different, kdusha is a bit different, and a few words here and there are changed around.

Just to add about the Talis. In Lubavich, the men tuck the sides (over the shoulders) underneath, so you don't see the black stripes, as opposed to others who fold it with the stripes outward.

gryp

Post Tue, Aug 01 2006, 11:40 am
We wash negel vaaser by our beds.
After brochos, we start davening with the words "Hareini Mikabel Alai Mitzvas Aseih Shel V'ahavta L'rai'acha Kamocha."
We give tzedaka before davening to draw down chesed from Hashem on us.
There are set things we learn everyday: Chitas, Rambam, Shulchan Aruch, and more.

We dont decorate the Sukkah, and we dont sleep in it either. Besides the regular Ushpizin, there are "Chassidishe Ushpizin:" each night a different Rebbe comes as a "guest."
We put special emphasis on Pirsumei Nisa on Chanukah, putting menorahs up in public where people will see them.
Our Ma Nishtana has a different order: first Matbilin, then Matzah, then Maror, then Misubin.
We say Pirkei Avos each Shabbos starting from after Pesach until Rosh Hashana.
On Shavous, everyone goes to hear Aseres Hadibros.

There is so much more, I'm sure I'm forgetting to mention most of it.

A question for not-Lubavitchers:
What is done on the Chosson's side during the Kabbolas Panim?
With us the Chosson recited by heart a specific Maamar which invites down the Neshomas of each Rebbe to the Chasunah, and to bentch the Chosson and Kallah.

goldrose

Post Tue, Aug 01 2006, 11:42 am
Quote:
Quote:
yes, glass can be used for both

I never knew that.

I also recently found out that some people will bake milchigs and fleishigs in the same oven as long as its double wrapped.

Lubavitch also sing lubavitcher niggunim at the shabbos table as oppose to 'shabbos zmiros" (altho nothing against them).

It is also a directive of the Rebbe that Lub. women wear only sheitels outside, no tichels, snoods etc.

We don't sing all the songs at the end of the hagada (chad gadya etc).

It is also a directive of the Rebbe that girls, as soon as they can say a brocha, light shabbos candles. Otherwise (in a case where she didnt learn to say a brocha early) girls start at age 3.

There are probably a bunch more. - Like short engagements.

stem

Post Tue, Aug 01 2006, 12:04 pm
As a litvisher, I'm clarifying a few things that lubavitchers were surprised about non-lubavitch Jews:

About the glass dishes - we can use them at a milk or meat meal only if it's used for cold! (this might seem obvious, but just clarifying.)
So a glass cup can be used to drink from at either meal but you can't bake in a pyrex pan chicken and then use it for cheese cake!
I don't practice this because I'm nervous about which sponge to use when I wash them, but technically, it's okay.

Also, I learned that I can cook meat and dairy in the same oven ONLY if the oven is perfectly clean and one of them is tightly wrapped.

red sea

Post Tue, Aug 01 2006, 12:23 pm
stem wrote:
Also, I learned that I can cook meat and dairy in the same oven ONLY if the oven is perfectly clean and one of them is tightly wrapped.

really? I never heard of that, I think. I thought that was for chicken and fish, I heard you need 24 hrs between using the oven for dairy and meat, and it needs to be clean.

Lubavich don't do that either, right?

Also do Lubavich lein megilas rus on shavuos?

red sea

Post Tue, Aug 01 2006, 12:30 pm
Quote:
A question for not-Lubavitchers:
What is done on the Chosson's side during the Kabbolas Panim?
With us the Chosson recited by heart a specific Maamar which invites down the Neshomas of each Rebbe to the Chasunah, and to bentch the Chosson and Kallah.

uh........smiles, shakes pples hands, they afaik just do the tanaim and write the kesubah.

Motek

Post Tue, Aug 01 2006, 12:30 pm
red sea wrote:

First, you need to know what Chassidus is, then you can zero in on Chabad Chassidus. I recommend this thread:

How would you define/describe a Chassidic Woman? in this Jud. section

also the thread Purpose of Creation - Understanding Sin and Punishment in the Intellect. section

Quote:

What happened? Rabbonim continue to be rabbonim, and shluchim continue to be shluchim, etc. and more people become rabbonim and shluchim (and shluchos).

Quote:

short answer: Because the Rebbe is the end of the line which ends with
Moshiach.

longer answer: Since Creation, the world has been heading towards the Yemos Ha'Moshiach, as the Medrash says, "and the spirit of Hashem hovered over the water" this is the spirit of Moshiach.

The advent of the revelation of Chassidus was both to raise up the masses of Jewry at that time as well as to prepare for Moshiach, as Chassidus is the "appetizer", a glimpse of the teachings of Moshiach.

These teachings have been developed with each successive generation:

* The Baal Shem Tov

* his successor the Maggid of Mezritch

* first Chabad Rebbe: the Alter Rebbe/Baal Ha'Tanya/R' Shneur Zalman (who called the Besht his (spiritual)grandfather)

* the Mittler Rebbe - R' Dov Ber

* the Tzemach Tzedek - R' Menachem Mendel

* Rebbe Maharash - R' Shmuel

* Rebbe Rashab - R' Sholom Dovber

* Frierdiker Rebbe - R' Yosef Yitzchok

* the Rebbe

You understand that there are 5 books of the Torah and not 6 (the book of Yehoshua continues the story but is not a part of Chumash), because the 5 books of the Torah comprise the essence of Torah (whatever that is). Anything beyond that is commentary or other books.

Similarly, whatever Chasidus came to teach was completed with the Rebbe.

(to be continued ... maybe Wink )
Page 1 of 8   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics